Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Decisions, Decisions....

LM and I had an interesting conversation earlier today. He asked me a series of questions that were entirely new to me-- things I'd never thought of before. Little boys have a way of helping you to think outside the box.

For instance, he asked me to think about whether I would like to live life as a dead dinosaur or a snake. That, actually, was a very difficult decision to make. Being dead doesn't sound all that great, but I mean, who wants to be a snake? (I eventually chose dead dinosaur.) I was also able to make some fairly easy decisions. Like, would I rather be a human or a dog? Well, I'm rather attached to my opposable thumbs and wouldn't dream of giving them up-- even in exchange for the ability to lick my own butt. So, naturally, I chose humanity.

But I think the most difficult decision I made was whether I would like to be poop or pee. You see, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Poop offers that glorious feeling of relief-- but it's messy and it reeks. Pee, on the other hand, is much more sanitary-- but can you say boring? Yet in the end I had to choose pee because, well, I'm not typically a very adventurous person-- and poop just has "adventure" written all over it, know what I mean?

Having a son has opened up an entirely new universe of topics, feelings, thoughts, and activities. I can honestly say I would never have asked myself any of these deep, soul-searching questions had LM not broached them. I learned a lot about myself today...er, maybe more than I actually wanted to know....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)