Saturday, September 24, 2011

Penalty For Popsicle Sticking!

Hubby is relaxing on our couch watching sports and happened to flip the channel briefly to hockey.  I don't know anything about hockey except that whenever I've attended a live game, I'm surrounded by belligerent drunks as two teams of heavily padded men beat the snot out of each other.  And that's why when I heard the term "icing" I had to stop and ponder it for a moment.  I mean, icing doesn't sound like a very manly term for a rough and tumble game.

Can you imagine if off-sides in soccer was called "meringuing"?  What about if a false start in football was "frosting"?  Or if a foul in basketball was called a "ganache"?

I know, I know-- icing refers to the ice which hockey is played on.  But I can't help but conjure up images of buttercream and whipped fudge when I hear it.  Makes me giggle.  Yeah, hockey just lost a few macho points in my book for that one.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! When I hear the term "icing" I think of people being killed...you know, "Yeah boss, we iced him. He's got cement boots on down in the river." Therefore, the act would be icing :-) Gosh, did we grow up on different sides of the train tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I like both of your "takes" on the term! Grandpa Noll used to explain hockey like this, "So I showed up for the fight and a hockey game eventually broke out!" :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)