Wednesday, September 21, 2011

School Daze

LM's been doing well in his new school. Woohoo! And recently I got the chance to come and speak with his class about Asperger's Syndrome, and since then his classmates have been extra sweet towards him. (In fact, right at this moment, he's at a friend's house eating dinner and hangin' out-- it's the FIRST time a classmate has ever invited him over to play. Someone hand me a tissue!)

But he hasn't been altogether without issues at school. I got an email from his teacher (who we adore!) that some extra math homework was coming home. Apparently while the rest of the class was busy calculating answers, LM thought a better use of his time would be to draw two pink erasers running away with stolen bags of loot. I have no idea what kind of symbolism is involved there, but I gotta hand it to him-- he's creative!

Yet while we were busy completing the math page at home, new information came to light. I could tell LM was dying to share something because he began to clench his hands together and go red in the face, grimacing.

"What's up, bud?"

He looked like he was about to explode. "I cheated on these problems!" he blurted. He waved his hand over a whole row of math problems. But that didn't seem to diminish his anxiety.

"Okay, okay! I cheated on these, too!" He pointed to another set of problems. He then relaxed.

We've been over this before. Like, lots. LM has a tendency to cheat (and then dramatically confess). But I suppose-- in his defense-- it's pretty hard to complete story problems on your own when you can't even read them in the first place....

That didn't stop me from erasing every problem he cheated on and making him do them again, however. (Besides, the girl he cheated off of got some answers wrong!)

All in all, though, we're off to a great year. Phew!

3 comments:

  1. Nona, have I ever told you you're my hero? LM is blessed to have such an amazing family to support him . . . and you're all blessed to have such a sweet (and funny) LM in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people have gotten far in life by cheating... it's not an altogether horrible strategy if he could just kick the habit of telling on himself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)