Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Did I Ever Tell You About The Time....

I drove across town today to have lunch with my father-in-law at his retirement community. He just moved in a couple weeks ago and I've been hearing all the rave reviews since. What I didn't know was that I wouldn't be sharing a cozy little table for two with the lad. Instead, I got to experience lunch at a table with a group of older gentlemen. Chalk that one up as a new experience for me! I was getting the major stare-down from all the little old ladies in the room. They either thought I was "darling" (as I heard one woman exclaim when I walked in), or-- and I think this explanation more likely-- they were irritated I was sitting at one of the only gentlemen's tables where the men weren't in motorized chairs or using walkers and canes. I think that made these men what constituted as "hotties" at the retirement center. Sorry, ladies-- they were all mine today!

I think the most memorable part of the afternoon was when the old guys started literally pointing out all of the fattest residents of the home and then animatedly pantomimed their various shapes. Amazingly, nobody seemed to notice! The reduced ability to see and hear amongst many of the residents was an obvious advantage for this group of characters. That, and I think inhibitions are drastically reduced with every year past 60 you reach-- and these guys were well past that age. (Ask my little sister about her tales from the assisted living center she worked at. Now those folks had some fun!)

But you know why I will be back for lunch again soon? Aside from all the antics, there is no one on earth more interesting to converse with than an over-60. I mean, these guys were flying planes in World War II and paying 15 cents for a burger and milkshake at a place called "The Shack". Heck, they lived through the depression! Needless to say, I did my best to keep them talking.

Now if only I could get in good with a few of the ladies....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)