Friday, February 20, 2009

A Child's Philosophy On, Um...Boobs

I am listening to a fascinating conversation my kids are having.  They are discussing boobs-- and it is serious.  

Let me give some background here.  You see, my son's baby dinosaur is hungry this morning (naturally).  And after having spent yesterday afternoon with his infant cousin, my son has a fresh awareness of what babies get hungry for (and where to get it).  Ruby Jane is offering her older and wiser assistance to the situation by holding the baby brachiosaurus up to the mama dinosaur's bosom (do dinosaurs even have bosoms?) so that nursing can take place.  She is even making passable sound effects in order to render the make-believe scene a little more on the believable side.  LM (as he is known in our house) is very satisfied with his sister's solution.

This whole event has led them into a more serious discussion, however.  And since Ruby Jane clearly has more knowledge in the area of boobs (being a female, after all), she is taking the lead on this one.  I'll let you in on a bit:

LM: "I think she needs new boobs" (speaking of the mama dinosaur).
Ruby Jane: "You can't get new boobs" (then considering that for a moment) "Mom, can you get new boobs?"
Me: (thinking about the new boobs I would one day like to get) "No."
LM: (looking at the hungry dinosaur, then speaking to his sister) "Why don't we just use your boobs?"
Ruby Jane: (scoffing at his ignorance) "Mine aren't grown yet!" (then, musing further) "Boobs are kinda like snack bars for babies".  (Oh, if she only knew how true....)
LM: (giggling) "Yeah!  But Mom's don't work anymore."  (This then gives him an idea.)
LM runs downstairs and retrieves a new dinosaur, snatches the baby from his sister, and attaches the youngster to the new mama.
LM: "There.  Now we have new boobs."
Both are pleased with this solution.  But I'm left wondering....

Can a larger life lesson be applied to this imaginary scenario?  Yes, I'm sure of it!  But even I am not so brave as to try to instruct my children on what that may be.  ("No, LM, the answer is not to replace the mama because her boobs don't work anymore!  The answer is to accept the old boobs for what they are, until the mama can afford to replace them!")  I'm shuddering just thinking about it.  No, no...it's best to just let this teaching moment go.  In the meantime, I think I'll start saving my money....

1 comment:

  1. Funny thing, we talk a lot about boobs in our little family too :-) Gabi thinks it is hilarious to look at everyone's boobs! I think her obsession came from her daddy who often teased her when she was younger by offering his "boobs" for nursing (oh, he would SO kill me if he saw this!!). So far I, however, have been spared conversations about needing new boobs, but that doesn't mean I don't think about it every time I look in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)