Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dumb Bumpkin

My feet hurt.

Yesterday we had an adventure in the Big City. Traffic. Masses of humanity. Exorbitant parking fees. Shopping. Fashion. And there's no better way to feel like a country bumpkin than to tool around a major metropolis.

So, in an effort to feel less like a country bumpkin, and more like a city-dweller, I chose to tool around in a pair of my younger (more fashionable) sister's three-inch heels. At least, it felt like they were three inches. They might have been two and a half....I wouldn't know, because I never wear heels. (That should have been my first red flag.)

"They're comfortable!" She assured me, smiling as she handed them over.

Mmmm-hmmm. Looking back on her comment, I'm sure what she meant is that they are more comfortable than these:

http://crazy-funny-pictures-insane-high-heels-shoes.funnyimages12.no-ip.org/?q=Crazy%20Funny%20Pictures%20Insane%20High%20Heels%20Shoes   
But only slightly. (Or maybe she just hadn't anticipated that I would choose to wear them for miles.)

Here is where my pride took over. You see, my head told me, "Wear a pair of comfy walking shoes ya big dork!" But my heart said, "Everyone, and I mean every single person, will laugh you right off the sidewalk if you wear comfy walking shoes. Even the transients will laugh!"

My mother and aunt advised against my decision, but I assured them that I could endure the pain for the sake of fashion. So I did.

And by the end of the night, my feet felt like this:

http://6tolerancesallyngxinhui.blogspot.com/2007/07/china-bans-foot-bindings.html  

But, hey, at least I didn't look like a tourist! Until I realized...this is Seattle. Not New York. Not Hollywood. Not Paris. Not Rio. And almost everyone was in comfy walking shoes.

Dang.

It's okay, though, nothing a little rest, ice and elevation won't cure. But the thick-headedness? There is no cure for that.

5 comments:

  1. Heels are for the rich and young. No seriously, because the rich don't walk far, their drivers wait and pick them up. And the young? Well, their bodies only started dying at 18...so they still have a bit of that magical fairy dust in them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Apparently I need to learn these things the hard way.

      Delete
  2. Hilarious! Everyone, and I mean every single person, wears comfy shoes in Seattle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be back in Seattle on Friday-- wearing comfy flip-flops this time! (Unless my sister has another cool pair of shoes she'd like to loan me....) :)

      Delete
  3. Would that be your little sister??? Bet you looked very cute as long as you could hide your limping gait..... :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)