Saturday, July 7, 2012

Duct Tape Cures All

Drive the truck to the Oregon coast-- it seemed like a benign enough idea. Ten hours in a small cab with hubby, two antsy kids and an ancient dog whose breath smells like rotten fish. Luggage packed in the truck bed in Rubbermaid bins, alongside an organ and bumper pool table-- to be dropped off in Beaverton with relatives on the way. Um, why did we think this was a good idea? Why?

We were on the road not fifteen minutes before the hubster had to pull over and adjust the tarp we'd haphazardly thrown over the whole lot. Then another ten minutes before he decided to just give up and pull the worthless tarp off altogether. Unfortunately, upon removing the tarp, lids began to fly off the Rubbermaid bins as we drove. Stop truck. Retrieve lids from highway. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

But it wasn't until one of the sleeping bags flew onto the highway that hubby really lost it. Oh wait, I think I have a picture of that. Yes, here it is:


The kids would be happy to tell you what he said, I'm sure. :)

"We're not moving until we can duct tape these lids on!" Hubby announced on the shoulder of I-90, tossing the errant sleeping bag back into a bin.

"Do we have any duct tape?" I asked.

"No. We have to buy it."

I looked around me. Nothing but barren fields. "Sooooo...are you going to conjure a store out of thin air?"

I'd stumped him. So, we decided to put the tarp back on until we once again entered civilization, since duct tape does not exist in the wild.

By the time the store was reached our tarp was in shreds, and so was hubby's sanity. But a quick stop into the hardware department for duct tape reinstated order, and we were able to continue on our merry way. Duct tape even ensured our dog's rancid mouth stayed shut, and the kids' arms and legs kept to themselves the entire way! And when they complained, a little duct tape over their mouths restored peace and quiet. Lovely!

Actually, after the purchase of duct tape, the trip went wonderfully smooth. Hey, I guess taking the truck wasn't such a bad idea after all!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha. Always knew duct tape was the answer to a man's every problem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lands! This story is just so hilarious! I love how you tell it! I could visualize it perfectly!
    Skp

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)