Monday, April 13, 2009

I Am Not Like That!

Here's a fun little activity to try with your kids-- extremely educational!  For whatever reason, the other day my kids stumbled on the idea of reversing roles with hubby and me.  I became Ruby Jane, hubby became LM, Ruby became me, and LM took over for hubby.  (Did you catch all that?)

And of course I recorded a few small snippets of our conversation.  (I happened to be on my computer when we started this imaginary journey-- thus these quotes came fresh outta our mouths and directly on to my computer screen-- although I couldn't keep up with the torrent of material presented during the entirety of play.)  

Ruby Jane: (speaking to me as I sat with my computer on my lap) "Ruby, what are you doing on my computer?  You know how much money I paid for that!"
(Have I really said that before??)
LM: (getting into the spirit quickly, speaking to hubby) "Bad boy!" ... "I need a cup of coffee!  Where are the coffee cups?!"
LM then proceeded to go to the kitchen and grabbed a mug which he filled to the brim with milk, leaving hubby to wonder what exactly he had done to deserve being chastised.  LM soon came back and sat down next to hubby and then whispered a few instructions in hubby's ear about how to impersonate him correctly:
LM: "You're supposed to pick your nose and suck your finger."
(Hubby attempted this, but admittedly it was awkward.)

After being scolded and sent to timeout numerous times for such heinous offenses as having a messy room and telling my "mom" to go put her dishes in the sink (apparently that's sassing) hubby began to tire of our game.  (The kids were on a roll, however.)  Hubby tried to think of a way to distract the munchkins and get them interested in something...safer for us parents.
Hubby:  "Would you guys like to go out for a treat?"
(And here comes Ruby's only accurate portrayal of me for the entire game): "No!  That's not in the budget!"
(Atta girl!)

After we finally were able to convince the kids to turn back into our children once again, I asked them if we're really so mean.  They assured us we were.  Frowning, I informed them I disagreed, and if they kept up that sassy attitude it would mean a timeout for sure!  (I'm kidding, of course...sort of.)  I think, in the end, what really stacked the odds in our favor was the fact that by remaining in the parental role, they would have to figure out some way to pay for our treat.  Hmmmm...so apparently being a kid's not so bad after all.  In fact, if they're ever able to afford us "kids", I might be tempted to just switch roles with them permanently!  Heck, if they'd at least clean the house and cook dinner for me that would easily be enough for me to relinquish my power.  

Er...excuse me, please, an idea is forming....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Comments make a blog a conversation rather than a monologue. So join in! (Just, um, be nice and all that.)